The History of Captain Bill's
The history of Captain Bill's dates back to the late 1920's when there was a simple 24' by 24' wooden structure standing at the foot of Ocean Avenue and run by the Boatmen's Association. Fishing party boats were run out of the building. One of the original boatmen, Captain Bill Eccleston would travel to neighboring towns selling fish and clams, blowing a bugle horn to announce his presence. Captain Bill was a legend in the area and quite a salty character. He eventually bought the wooden structure, started a small clam bar and named it after himself.
Captain Bill sold the clam bar in the early 1950's to Sophie and Carl Abendroth who eventually renovated the building and built what is now the main restaurant. In the late 1950's, Carl and Sophie purchased the building next door as a catering hall, calling it the Anchorage. In 1982 Carl Anton purchased the marina, restaurant and catering hall, however the property was put into receivership in the late 1980's. After several attempts by different groups to turn Captain Bill's into a successful business, its doors were shut for several years until a local real estate investor, Lou Modica, purchased the property.
In 1998, current owners, Peter McCarthy and Michael Korb, approached Modica about reopening the historic landmark. After a multimillion dollar renovation, Captain Bill's reopened its doors in June of 1998. One year later, the Anchorage was renovated and renamed The Bayview House, accommodating larger parties and waterfront weddings. After 13 successful years, Peter and Michael continue to manage and direct the day to day operations at this historic waterfront landmark, employing 100+ local staff.
Prior to reopening Captain Bill's, Peter McCarthy and Michael Korb had worked together for 14 years for a local Long Island restaurant and catering company as the vice president and corporate chef, respectively. With extensive backgrounds in the food and beverage industry with companies such as Westin International and Marriott Hotels, Peter and Michael have had the pleasure in operating many diverse restaurants, from casual to fine dining as well as catering functions such as the U.S. Polo Open, tented weddings and annual functions up to 3,000 guests. Peter and Michael, both having lived locally for most of their lives, embarked on the journey of reestablishing Captain Bill's as the premiere restaurant and catering facility that it once was.
Now, heading into their thirteenth year of business, Peter and Michael take pride and satisfaction in having provided growth and income opportunities for hundreds of current and former employees. They also take satisfaction in having provided a venue that friends and families have been able to gather for an enjoyable evening whether in our dining room or bar, or in one of our catering rooms.
We look forward to seeing you here at Captain Bill's soon!